Does Ortho-K have any advantages over laser surgery (LASIK)?
- The prescription does not need to be stable for 1-2 years before undergoing treatment.
- It does not cause the permanent hazy vision experienced by some patients following laser surgery caused by scarring.
- Changes in prescription over time can be dealt with without further surgery.
- The procedure is reversible (laser is not).
- There is a very significant understanding of the effects of contact lens wear on the cornea, because of the many years of lens use. LASIK long term effects are not completely understood.
- There is no post-operative pain or recovery period.
- Ortho-K is significantly cheaper.
- Ortho-K does not preclude surgery in the future.
What are the advantages of Ortho-K?
- Good vision without spectacles or contact lenses for most of the day.
- It is not a surgical procedure.
- It is reversible.
- It is modifiable.
- It does not hurt.
- It slows down the increase in myopia in children.
- Using well established contact lens fitting techniques mean there are very few risks.
What are the disadvantages of Ortho-K?
- You must be prepared to allow 4-6 visits over 3-6 months.
- Continued lens wear is essential or the cornea will revert to its original shape.
- The degree of success is high but cannot always be guaranteed.
- The speed of reduction in prescription varies from one person to the next. Patience is the key!
- You must follow the instructions of our treatment program implicitly for the best results.
Why Choose Envision for your Treatment?
- Experienced in ortho-k therapy for over 10 years and members of the Orthokeratology Society of Oceania and the International Society of Orthokeratology.
- Offer multiple treatment systems to ensure a completely customised result for each individual.
- We use the latest scanning technology in corneal topography and OCT to ensure the most accurate results possible.
- Personalised care: we are locals and always available for emergencies.
- Emergency access: In the rare event of any problems, you will have your optometrists personal mobile number to use in case of emergency.
- Andrew and Celia are both qualified to prescribe medications to treat eye infections of inflammation.